This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Fell off my racing bike last night, have any of you had the same experience! done

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Jaggedone
This user is offline Warning: Sharp edges
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 1 Jul 11 16:26 - Edited By: Jaggedone, 1 Jul 11 16:26
I foolishly attempted to avoid 2 idiots on their normal bikes, flew over the curb and landed in the middle of the road, hairy experience, but luckily a 40 ton truck wasn't around.

I'm OK, was a bit shaken and received a couple of wounds to confirm my flight and dodgy landing.

Have any of your guys or girls had a similar experience, let us all know ?

BTW, this was real and had nothing to do with our Spoof bike run which seems to be stuck in Bonny Scotland.

Monkey nutter...
Ellie James
This user is offline Moderator
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Jul 11 16:35
I flew off my racing bike once when I was a teen. Hurt like hell...and didn't make me feel anything like Lance Armstrong! And, a few weeks ago, I tripped while walking and hit my face on the curb in from of the modern art museum. And, that hurt like hell as well and made me look like I had been beaten.

I'm glad you're okay though.

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Jaggedone
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 1 Jul 11 18:11
Cheers Ellie, I'm fine, but no knee job tonight(?)

Monkey nutter...
Jean Le Fete
This user is offline Deanalope
Jean Le Fete

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Jul 11 19:10
I fell off of my trycycle once when I was 6 and hit my head on a rock. OOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!! Then I started writing for the bleed'n Spoof!

It's not that I can't help these people it's just, I don't want to. - Tom Hanks - Volunteers
Mark
This user is offline Spoofer-in-Chief
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 2 Jul 11 12:36
I came off my bike last week, or the week before maybe.

Really stupid, not sure what happened. I think I talked myself in to falling off.

I needed new brake pads, couldn't slow myself down quick enough when turning. Was coming out of a junction turning right and ended up hitting the kerb and falling off. I could see it coming a mile off, but there was little I could do to stop it, so I just talked myself in to it.

Fell off with an annoyed grunt, picked myself up and rode away.

Hurt my wrist and scraped my leg, nothing too bad. Landed on the pavement (sidewalk) too, so no risk of being squished.

Ah bikes. They're great, until you fall off.

Spoofing all over the world
Lady Godiva
This user is offline Banned

Forum Profile
Posted: 2 Jul 11 12:44 - Edited By: Lady Godiva, 2 Jul 11 12:55
I've been really fortunate in having been able to avoid hitting the ground. Whilst riding my first racing bike, with toe-clips on the pedals, we (me and my then boyfriend, now husand) came to a stop light (in England - red traffice light!). Not used to the clips, I couldn't get my foot out quickly enough and began to 'tip'. Luckily I fell 'onto' my 'boyfriend' and he was able to prop me up lol.

Second time...riding in a time trial....I came to the 'turn' and a rider behind me caught me and turned at the same time. We collided but the one of the 'turn marshalls' caught me that time. The other stupid women was riding a bike with a fixed wheel, in a bloody TIME TRIAL and had pulled to the left to make sure her pedals were in the right position for the turn. I thought she was pulling over to get off her bloody bike so I started MY turn and she turned INTO me....

When we collided SHE was the one who fell off and started swearing at ME. Needless to say...she beat me in the race...

Hey! I didn't start this thread...it brought back the memories though.

Tour de France is on telly...

The Trench

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 2 Jul 11 12:52
children of the Damned

As small child Was walking along the rd one day when one these fecking motor bikers roared past closed my eyes & wished hed end up in a crash , as you do , turned round the next corner and there he was lying on the ground with his feck bike wrapped round lamp post with paramedics standing over him .

I walked passed with smug smile of satifaction on my face knowing I had the power to curse ever since then I ve only to give a bsterd the evil eye & they are doomed !!

Tommy Twinkle
This user is offline Writer

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 2 Jul 11 14:51 - Edited By: Tommy Twinkle, 2 Jul 11 17:43
Until about fourteen I lived in Clapton, a sub-district of London's Hackney borough. Our council house was only about a hundred yards from a quite large park called Hackney Downs. When my older brother left school and bought himself a motorbike he gave me his 'Reg Harris' racing bike. I'd ride it for hours and hours 'over the downs' along the tarmac pathways - and I wouldn't piddle about!

I found a way of negotiating tight bends without having to come to a virtual stop - I'd copy the speedway riders. On approach to a corner I'd sort of throw myself away from the bike and (if a right hand corner) twist the front wheel sharply to the left so that as I leaned the bike over the front wheel would be pointing upwards. I'd just negotiated one of the tight corners 'over the downs' one day and was pressing down on the pedals as I straightened up the bike to pick up speed again (I was a mad kid looking back on it!)

Anyway I was going along at a fair old clip and still pushing my feet down on the pedals when the right pedal came down onto the top of a wooden kerb along the side of the tarmac path. I don't really know how high I went but I do know I did at least one complete somersault up in the air before hitting the grass along the right side of the path then rolling along several times before coming to a stop. I gradually sat up to see my bike on the floor about thirty yards away. Amazingly all I had was a small graze on my left elbow. But I was so lucky (cyclists didn't wear helmets or any protective clothing back in the 1960's) because when I sat up on the grass I could see that I'd come to a stop just a couple of feet away from a thick concrete lamp post further ahead. If I'd come off the bike a few feet later I would have gone head first into that concrete post.

I used to love that bike - light blue it was with 5 gears!

Colonel Juan
This user is offline El quien ose, sátirisa
Colonel Juan

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 2 Jul 11 18:12

Hi Tommy...

My mother was born in Clarence Road.. and my father just around the corner - up the Ridley Road in Navarino Mansions...

Fascinating neck of the woods...

Bombed to smithereens in the war but still well worth exploring...

When I was nine, I was sat next to my dad in a traffic jam en route to Brighton. A bloke on a motorbike doing five miles an hour got his foot caught on our bumper.

He came off and I saw his face explode as it hit the ground.

Ambulance arrived an hour later.

We checked up on the poor bugger...

he nearly died... but he lived..

Just!

Roads are very hard objects...

Bikes are fun but dangerous.

RIP
Tommy Twinkle

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 2 Jul 11 23:35
CJ...

Roads are hard/bikes are dangerous ... Yes, you're right of course.... But boys will be boys. I lived along Clapton Way, a turning off of Downs Road. I do remember the bombed out flattened remains of two houses along Downs Road. We'd get up to mischief playing about with all the bricks - now THAT was dangerous!!!

Up until I was about ten I'd often go along to Ridley Road market with a pal on Saturday mornings (we'd buy our toy Corgi cars from a shop along there).

Happy days!

The Trench

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 3 Jul 11 13:37
The only time bikes are dangerous is if theres a woman on one then you get all feck blokes in the area trying to ride her

Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 3 Jul 11 18:41 - Edited By: Lynton, 3 Jul 11 18:45
TT

If you had looked at Reg Harris's road safety advice (remember them on the steam telly?) that wouldn't have happened- (unless the Trench was hiding somewhere in the bushes cursing you.)

btw Trench you any relation to the Edge in U2? As a trench you must have at least 2 edges and you describe yourself as a 'shite stirring trouble maker'

Quote: Tommy Twinkle

Until about fourteen I lived in Clapton, a sub-district of London's Hackney borough. Our council house was only about a hundred yards from a quite large park called Hackney Downs. When my older brother left school and bought himself a motorbike he gave me his 'Reg Harris' racing bike. I'd ride it for hours and hours 'over the downs' along the tarmac pathways - and I wouldn't piddle about!

I found a way of negotiating tight bends without having to come to a virtual stop - I'd copy the speedway riders. On approach to a corner I'd sort of throw myself away from the bike and (if a right hand corner) twist the front wheel sharply to the left so that as I leaned the bike over the front wheel would be pointing upwards. I'd just negotiated one of the tight corners 'over the downs' one day and was pressing down on the pedals as I straightened up the bike to pick up speed again (I was a mad kid looking back on it!)

Anyway I was going along at a fair old clip and still pushing my feet down on the pedals when the right pedal came down onto the top of a wooden kerb along the side of the tarmac path. I don't really know how high I went but I do know I did at least one complete somersault up in the air before hitting the grass along the right side of the path then rolling along several times before coming to a stop. I gradually sat up to see my bike on the floor about thirty yards away. Amazingly all I had was a small graze on my left elbow. But I was so lucky (cyclists didn't wear helmets or any protective clothing back in the 1960's) because when I sat up on the grass I could see that I'd come to a stop just a couple of feet away from a thick concrete lamp post further ahead. If I'd come off the bike a few feet later I would have gone head first into that concrete post.

I used to love that bike - light blue it was with 5 gears!

Watching paint dry
Jaggedone
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 4 Jul 11 16:34

I'm glad to hear of all of your accidents (not literally) it sounds as if biking is a pretty dangerous activity especially if you're a loony like me.

It's obvious reading this thread that many of the participants here all fell on their heads and haven't been the same since, hence our common goal, FUCKING MADNESS!

Monkey nutter...
Lady Godiva

Forum Profile
Posted: 5 Jul 11 18:58 - Edited By: Lady Godiva, 5 Jul 11 19:07
I now have a confession to make......I was reminded about a fall off my bike that I DID have. I was reminded when I was watching the Tour de France yesterday. Phil, the commentator was talking about some of the riders riding cyclo-cross as part of their training.

That reminded me about my fall. I was doing some cyclo-cross (before mountain-biking came along) - I was riding off-road in the Cleveland Hills, North East England, with my husbank, (was going to edit the typo but I kinda like it the way it is) on our road-racing bikes in the 70's.

I hit a hidden rock and went a**e over t**s and landed in some soft grass so I wasn't hurt. It was a laugh! Oh the memories!

Hand-made frame - custom built by the then famous 'Harry Quinn' in Liverpool.

Any cycling fans out there? I was a 'Ford Girl' at the 1970 Cycling World Championships held in Leicester. Mini-dress uniform. Fun! Fun! Fun! Met a number of famous road and track riders during that 2 weeks.

The story that was in the newspapers about the Ford Girls wearing disposable paper knickers with the Union Jack printed on them - was a bloody lie by the way.

How little you know about me LOL

Colonel Juan
This user is offline El quien ose, sátirisa
Colonel Juan

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 5 Jul 11 19:37

Quote: Lady Godiva

How little you know about me LOL

On the contrary Lady G...

Every word you write (plenty) tells me (again and again) how little you understand about England..

If you could only understand this you might, one day, begin to write something interesting...

Regards .. and only trying to be helpful ..

CJ

RIP
Jaggedone
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 5 Jul 11 20:11
Tut Tut, good story BTW LG.

I mountainbike too and this week we are just about to set off in the Eifel area of Germany, great biking area and the beer is even better.

Monkey nutter...
Lady Godiva

Forum Profile
Posted: 5 Jul 11 20:26
WOW JO! Enjoy your mountain-biking and the beer. I'm more than a tad jealous.... Don't fall off though! You hear!

LG

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum