This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Interesting reading

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Mark
This user is offline Spoofer-in-Chief
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 28 Mar 11 10:31
Noticed this in the most e-mailed section of the BBC news site. Offers a different perspective to the usual approach the media likes to take.

Interestingly I never saw it posted anywhere predominantly when it was first published...

Viewpoint: We should stop running away from radiation

Spoofing all over the world
Lady Godiva
This user is offline Banned

Forum Profile
Posted: 28 Mar 11 11:00
Very interesting. Thanks for posting Mark!

LG

Jaggedone
This user is offline Warning: Sharp edges
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 28 Mar 11 15:01
I had an x-ray last week does that count?

Monkey nutter...
Katarina Frogpond2
This user is offline Writer
Katarina Frogpond2

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 28 Mar 11 20:20
I saw a horizon programme a few years ago that said that mice who lived around Chernobyl had not been as badly affected as everyone said they should have been.

There were few genetic mutations and their lifespans hadn't been curtailed.

Inhopeless
This user is offline Writer
Inhopeless

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 28 Mar 11 22:18
Well, it said in the Economist that nuclear power is one of the most efficient and safest forms of energy production.

I like nuclear power. Did you know that Britain has 8 reactors, and 16 more in planning? That won't happen because of those loser anti-nuke protesters.

"Sometimes the best intentions end up intense without means to quell it.
We've poisoned our blood streams and blackened our lungs. We've enabled the edifice that it's how we belong.
We may suffer together, but we all die alone.
We may suffer together, but we all die alone."

Boys Night Out - "Hey, Thanks!"
IainB
This user is offline Gentle with me
IainB

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 29 Mar 11 07:46
What isn't mentioned in the article is that BECAUSE people are so panicked by radiation* that the people who build them make them vastly safer than they strictly need to be. For this reason, modern reactors are safer, cleaner and more efficient. Even the antique Fukashima reactor was only beaten by the wave being 1.5 metres higher than it was designed to cope with. I'm taller than that.

There is still more they can do.

For a start, they can stop with the uranium. We don't have an awful lot of uranium. At projected usage rates, there's probably about 50 years left. Uranium is a pain. Thorium is the way to go. Far safer. Doesn't blow up as easily (molton salt is used instead of water for cooling, so no hydrogen to go BOOM!), just as unstable and perfect for nuclear reactors, plus it doesn't need to be near the coast. The only reason it's not used is that it doesn't produce plutonium when fissioned, and that's not good for the bomb making industry. Governments pay for power stations, and they want a lucrative side line.

True that.

Chile have missed a trick. The Aticama desert is perfect for storing nuclear by products until we find a use for them. No rain ground water you see. We could store it above ground for easy access.

Iain

*Radiation IS pretty nasty, but aircraft crew get exposed to higher levels than people who work at/live near reactors.

If 42 is the answer, the question is if 24 looks in the mirror, who does she see?

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum