This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Meaningless Debate


[This topic is LOCKED]

4 Pages - [1] 2 3 4 » »»
AuthorMessage
Erskin Quint
This user is offline Writer
Erskin Quint

Registered: 15 Oct 07

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 7 Jan 11 22:13
As an alternative for those (I'm not one of them) who are dismayed by the heavy debates going on elsewhere, perhaps we might have a meaningless debate.

The idea is that each post has to be completely unrelated to the last one.

I think it's been done before.

Maybe it's a stupid idea.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Erskin Quint
This user is offline Writer
Erskin Quint

Registered: 15 Oct 07

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 7 Jan 11 22:15
The recent documentary about the black bears of Minnesota was really interesting. It's a bit of a dilemma though - the more people feed them and get close to them, the more danger there is that someone will come to some harm.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Lynton
This user is offline Writer
Lynton

Location: Paris
Registered: 14 Oct 09

 Forum Profile
Posted: 7 Jan 11 22:39
I still feel that it is quite horrendous that some houses exist in France where the water piping is made of lead.


Watching paint dry
Charpa93
This user is offline Writer
Charpa93

Registered: 17 Jul 09

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 8 Jan 11 00:06 - Edited By: Charpa93, 8 Jan 11 00:08
Tribes of indigenous peoples throughout America may actually all have the same hereditary beginning. An ancestor by the name of Gene.

Lady Godiva
This user is offline Banned


Location: Canada and The Spoof
Registered: 22 Feb 10

 Forum Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 00:09 - Edited By: Lady Godiva, 8 Jan 11 00:10
I do believe in school uniforms for all students so that they can concentrate on their studies instead of focusing on the fashions of the day.

LG

(From a discussion I had with my students 2 days ago )

victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Location: Suwanee River
Registered: 20 Apr 08

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 00:21
Charpa

I think you are wrong on this count his name was Blucka Peh.

Some may remember this but I have worked with a man named Gene Poole.


Quote: Charpa93

Tribes of indigenous peoples throughout America may actually all have the same hereditary beginning. An ancestor by the name of Gene.


"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"
armfeetandtoe
This user is offline Writer
armfeetandtoe

Location: West Sussex
Registered: 11 Jun 10

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 8 Jan 11 00:22
When one flushes the toilet, are we using that energy in a destructive way, or are we expelling the energy responsibly? A recent study suggests we are walking the knife edge of carbon footprint melt down.




Arm xxxx

You aint seen me.....right
Lynton
This user is offline Writer
Lynton

Location: Paris
Registered: 14 Oct 09

 Forum Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 03:56
Well you know I wish I could sleep but tonite my mind is occupied only by the question is Cheryl really happy with Derek or is it all a smokescreen hiding her fundamental sadness and disillusion. Will she make it in America? Oh I don't know what to say when she eventually asks me for advice. Perhaps I could say that not many people wth a deep south accent make it in the UK. But there again I couldn't understand a word of what Lenny Bruce or Richard Prior said and they had accents that seem to have been easy ones to understand for most others because they laughed at all the jokes so what sort of judge am I? Perhaps she should just forget it and open a pie shop in Newcastle. What I mean is if all she has to say is 'because I'm worth it' like she does in the advert that's fine but how will she cope on a chat show? People are going to say that her singing's ok why can't we understand her English? It's like a French woman who has learned the words to an English song but has to have a translator on a talk show. Oh do hurry up Cheryl I need the sleep! Yawn!

Watching paint dry
Lady Godiva
This user is offline Banned


Location: Canada and The Spoof
Registered: 22 Feb 10

 Forum Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 04:40
I'm debating whether or not Lynton is in need of a Spoof Intervention.

LG

Charpa93
This user is offline Writer
Charpa93

Registered: 17 Jul 09

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 8 Jan 11 06:26

Quote: victor nicholas

Charpa

I think you are wrong on this count his name was Blucka Peh.

Some may remember this but I have worked with a man named Gene Poole.


Quote: Charpa93

Tribes of indigenous peoples throughout America may actually all have the same hereditary beginning. An ancestor by the name of Gene.



Thank you for clearing that up. Did it take a terribly large amount of chlorine?

Inchcock
This user is offline Writer
Inchcock

Location: Nottingham, England
Registered: 18 Jun 10

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 8 Jan 11 08:16
Naturally the Nottingham branch of the 'Outer Peruvian Pregnant Kangaroo Appreciation Society will support the 'Wicker Bottom Chair Repairers Association', in their combined efforts to ensure that the decline of 0.0003% in the Mongolian Gungo Bean crop, is brought to the attention of the United Nations President M. Joseph Deiss, and his banks.

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit
John Peurach
This user is offline Writer
John Peurach

Location: Los Angeles
Registered: 17 Mar 10

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 8 Jan 11 09:00
Where can you go for the best in vitro fertilization results at the lowest possible prices? To the UTERUS ZONE, that's where! For 10 out of the last 15 gold medal award-winning years, 4 out of 5 reasonably qualified doctors (currently awaiting official board certification from a south of the border online medical academy, not near you), have joined forces with, quite literally, 5 guys named Moe (each of whom like to pitch in when asked, or just stand around and watch, cause, well....as teamsters, they're legally entitled to do so) when it's time to get up to get down at....the UTERUS ZONE, where, as luck, and a uncertain amount of WT(not)F fate would have it, everyone on our crack team of partial professionals is totally like semi-prepared to comfortably take the guess work out of all your high-tech procreation and artificially insemination needs!

Have no fear, parking is free. And, as always, refreshments are served both before and after. And/or during, upon request.

So, what are you waiting for? Come one, come all (no pun intended) all the way down to the UTERUS ZONE!

NOW, with three convenient locations to serve you.

Downtown, uptown, and at our all-new Fork-In-The-Road Mall location, just below the beltway, right smack dab in the middle of beautiful downtown Center City. (Across from the zoo.)

(This is john peurach and I approve this message.)





At one time we were all old enough to know, yet still young enough not to know any better. Thank God (or, whoever is screening his/her calls these days) some of us can somehow pretend that to be, more or less, still the case.
Amethyst Ryder
This user is offline Dinosaur. Rrraaahr.
Amethyst Ryder

Location: Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered: 22 Feb 10

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 12:20
I think instead you need proper insulation to keep all of the heat from escaping your home.

Erskin Quint
This user is offline Writer
Erskin Quint

Registered: 15 Oct 07

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 13:32

MARINE FAVOURITES


My favourite bit of sea is the Sargasso Sea, a portion of the North Atlantic bounded by ocean current systems.

The Sargasso Sea was named after the sargassum seaweed growing there by early Portugese sailors. Later Portugese sailors arrived too late to name the region. What inspired the early Portugese sailors to grow the sargassum there is lost in the mists of time. The Sargasso Sea was probably known to still earlier mariners. The Carthaginian explorer Himilco the Navigator reputedly described a portion of the North Atlantic being covered in seaweed. So perhaps those "early bird" Portugese we are hearing so much about didn't actually grow the seaweed. It wouldn't be the first case of unfounded Iberian boasting ever recorded.

It is with this fascinating area that the migration and breeding habits of such mysterious creatures as the eel and the loggerhead sea turtle are associated.

The Sargasso Sea is the only sea without shores.

Sadly, the Sargasso Sea is also home to a huge collection of non-biodegradable plastic waste, where human trash has accumulated because of the effect of the ocean currents.

This accumulation, popularly known as "North American Culture"***, is a sad testimony to the human attempt to destroy the fragile mysteries of the natural world.

So who's YOUR favourite singing cowboy? I'll have to plump for Ferdinand II Of Aragon. I play his album Riding The Range With Queen Isabella And Our Daughter, Joanna The Mad most days, and I make sure I play it continuously from midnight to midnight on the anniversary of the confinement of Queen Joanna in the Convent of Santa Clara.


***SATIRE







SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Location: Suwanee River
Registered: 20 Apr 08

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 16:56
Mr. Inch

Your abridged missive is compelling but leaves me wanting more detail.

Perhaps you could elaborate in more detail on any or all of these subjects, I suggest the latter as they seem to be related to each other in some manner. Perhaps it is the realationship itself that is meaningful in some sort of Intrepid styled espionage code.

I hope that you are safe and can elaborate in more detail without endangering yourself or any eastern block countries.

Be careful waiting on the bridge at midnight.

Victor


Quote: Inchcock

Naturally the Nottingham branch of the 'Outer Peruvian Pregnant Kangaroo Appreciation Society will support the 'Wicker Bottom Chair Repairers Association', in their combined efforts to ensure that the decline of 0.0003% in the Mongolian Gungo Bean crop, is brought to the attention of the United Nations President M. Joseph Deiss, and his banks.


"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"
victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Location: Suwanee River
Registered: 20 Apr 08

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 17:06
Ersin

Ruminating upon this excellent missive I believe you have hit upon something.

The current state of reality based television fare is a Sargasso Sea of sorts discouraging more creative or literary based drama.

It is too bad we are stranded there waiting for more favourable breezes.


Quote: Erskin Quint

MARINE FAVOURITES


My favourite bit of sea is the Sargasso Sea, a portion of the North Atlantic bounded by ocean current systems.

The Sargasso Sea was named after the sargassum seaweed growing there by early Portugese sailors. Later Portugese sailors arrived too late to name the region. What inspired the early Portugese sailors to grow the sargassum there is lost in the mists of time. The Sargasso Sea was probably known to still earlier mariners. The Carthaginian explorer Himilco the Navigator reputedly described a portion of the North Atlantic being covered in seaweed. So perhaps those "early bird" Portugese we are hearing so much about didn't actually grow the seaweed. It wouldn't be the first case of unfounded Iberian boasting ever recorded.

It is with this fascinating area that the migration and breeding habits of such mysterious creatures as the eel and the loggerhead sea turtle are associated.

The Sargasso Sea is the only sea without shores.

Sadly, the Sargasso Sea is also home to a huge collection of non-biodegradable plastic waste, where human trash has accumulated because of the effect of the ocean currents.

This accumulation, popularly known as "North American Culture"***, is a sad testimony to the human attempt to destroy the fragile mysteries of the natural world.

So who's YOUR favourite singing cowboy? I'll have to plump for Ferdinand II Of Aragon. I play his album Riding The Range With Queen Isabella And Our Daughter, Joanna The Mad most days, and I make sure I play it continuously from midnight to midnight on the anniversary of the confinement of Queen Joanna in the Convent of Santa Clara.


***SATIRE


"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"
Lynton
This user is offline Writer
Lynton

Location: Paris
Registered: 14 Oct 09

 Forum Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 17:07
But on the other hand had Le Corbusier taken the name of 'Yodelling Charlie' would his sofas and chairs sold even half as well. So a name is really important look at Julio Iglesias would his records have sold if they'd been labeled 'Joe Church'?

Watching paint dry
Charpa93
This user is offline Writer
Charpa93

Registered: 17 Jul 09

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 8 Jan 11 17:17
With the advent of Wikipedia, is it necessary for one to go to two or more sources for information when, in fact, all you really need to know is in one convenient spot, and, if you do take the time to research something for yourself by going to the (soon to become obsolete) local library, or even source sites on the internet, does this make you smarter or, in actuality, prove your stupidity for neglecting to choose a quicker, yet albeit, sometimes less verifiable source?

Alternatively, could I have broken up the above sentence with a few periods?

Lady Godiva
This user is offline Banned


Location: Canada and The Spoof
Registered: 22 Feb 10

 Forum Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 17:24
Possibly!

LG

Charpa93
This user is offline Writer
Charpa93

Registered: 17 Jul 09

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 8 Jan 11 17:31

Quote: Charpa93

With the advent of Wikipedia, is it necessary for one to go to two or more sources for information when, in fact, all you really need to know is in one convenient spot, and, if you do take the time to research something for yourself by going to the (soon to become obsolete) local library, or even source sites on the internet, does this make you smarter or, in actuality, prove your stupidity for neglecting to choose a quicker, yet albeit, sometimes less verifiable source?

Alternatively, could I have broken up the above sentence with a few periods?


I suck at this. I readily admit.

Lady Godiva
This user is offline Banned


Location: Canada and The Spoof
Registered: 22 Feb 10

 Forum Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 17:37
But there aren't any rules are there? In which case, you're great.

15 bodies found in Mexico, 14 headless, one hanging on by a bit of skin. Seems to be normal for Mexico so I just can't understand why people still want to 'holiday' there?

Nowt so queer as folk - as my nana would often say.
Just saying!

LG

Amethyst Ryder
This user is offline Dinosaur. Rrraaahr.
Amethyst Ryder

Location: Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered: 22 Feb 10

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 17:39
On the other hand, it could be said that the recent trend toward innovative designs in the coins and bills of the money of the United States has been useful for stimulating the economy.

Lady Godiva
This user is offline Banned


Location: Canada and The Spoof
Registered: 22 Feb 10

 Forum Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 17:42
Sudanese immigrants are to be voting somewhere in Canada, travelling miles to vote. 20 000 excpected to register. Should this be allowed?

I don't care either way myself.

LG

Inchcock
This user is offline Writer
Inchcock

Location: Nottingham, England
Registered: 18 Jun 10

 Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 8 Jan 11 17:43

Quote: victor nicholas

Mr. Inch

Your abridged missive is compelling but leaves me wanting more detail......

Victor,

I'm afraid if I was to release any more detail, the facts that those details may contain, would give rise to the possible disclosure of the names of our leaders General Incompetence, General Weakness, and Corporal Punishment, that in turn might alert the Kremlin to our groups continued presence here at Oil Drum Lane, Upper Denture, UK, and our intentions and total lack of any capabilities.

However, if you know anything of English comedian (Tony) Hancock's Half Hour old radio scripts, there are all in there somewhere.

Danke sch... I mean Thank you, take care.


Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit
Lady Godiva
This user is offline Banned


Location: Canada and The Spoof
Registered: 22 Feb 10

 Forum Profile
Posted: 8 Jan 11 17:47
Actually I am being too flippant, I realize that, but one thing that I would like to speak to is school uniforms. I do believe they are a 'levelling ground'.

Too many poorer students are sticking out like sore thumbs in schools where they do not wear a uniform. Raggedy Anns Raggedy Andys hang their heads in shame whilst walking down the hallways passing all the fashion kings and queens who put more thought into their outfits than they do in their studies.

Uniforms should be manadatory. This is not really open to debate as far as I am concerned. It just should BE.

LG


4 Pages - [1] 2 3 4 » »»
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

  • You cannot create new topics in this forum
  • You cannot post new messages in this forum
  • You cannot add polls
  • You cannot link to external images in this forum
  • You cannot upload images in this forum
  • You cannot upload files in this forum

Who is online?

There is 1 registered user currently online: 1 is active , none are currently inactive .

Users online:


Profile Featured Writer

Frank Cotolo
Frank Cotolo
Joined: 27 May 2004
Stories Written: 153

Go to top