This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Snobbery?

[This topic is LOCKED]

2 Pages - [1] 2 »
AuthorMessage
armfeetandtoe
This user is offline Writer
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 27 Jun 10 00:18
As a new member, I have noticed a certain air of snobbery on this forum, where new writers are concerned. It seems if one is not in the circle of love, then one is a rank outsider. I understood that everyone gets a fair crack of the whip, on this site? But, from what I have seen, only certain people get top billing.

To encourage new writers, constructive comment goes a long way. I dont see much of that here.
And, who gives a toss who is the top writer? This place is for ALL writers, of ALL abilities, and therefore, everyone should be embraced.

Skoob, Your a genuine funny bloke, that has time for everyone, shame there are not a few more like you.

Love Light & Peace

Gazza

You aint seen me.....right
Charpa93
Charpa93

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 27 Jun 10 00:36

Quote: armfeetandtoe

As a new member, I have noticed a certain air of snobbery on this forum, where new writers are concerned. It seems if one is not in the circle of love, then one is a rank outsider. I understood that everyone gets a fair crack of the whip, on this site? But, from what I have seen, only certain people get top billing.

To encourage new writers, constructive comment goes a long way. I dont see much of that here.
And, who gives a toss who is the top writer? This place is for ALL writers, of ALL abilities, and therefore, everyone should be embraced.

Skoob, Your a genuine funny bloke, that has time for everyone, shame there are not a few more like you.

Love Light & Peace

Gazza

The forum is a two-way street, and I don't mean that in a mean way. I took it upon myself to write a "get to know me" post on the forum under writers, and I've been met with nothing but encouragement and open arms.

There is a writers' collaboration going on right now under the magazine section that you may want to take a look at as well. We're looking for someone to pick up where the last writer left off. That might be a good way to get right into the thick of things. Check it out.

Tell us a little about yourself and I'll bet you'll be chatting it up and joining in in no time. Welcome to the Spoof.

Charpa93

Skoob1999
This user is offline Caretaker
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 27 Jun 10 00:37
Thanks Gazza,

It's really nice of you to say that, and I appreciate it.

I don't know if any writer in particular has made you feel left out in any way, but the general concensus is that we'd like this to be a happy kind of place where people with a shared interest in humour are all made welcome.

The more you take part, the more you get to "know" the other writers. We're doing a collaboration in the Magazine section right now - we all do a chapter and keep the story going. Have a go at it. It's fun to do and it's a great ice breaker.

Stick with it mate, you'll soon get the hang of it.

Best Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Philbert of Macadamia
This user is offline Historical nutcase
Philbert of Macadamia

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 27 Jun 10 00:41
armfeetandtoe:

Welcome.

As Skoob says jump right in!

There is intelligent life in outer space!
Then why do the UFO's not land on the Earth?
As I said, there is intelligent life in outer space!
Amethyst Ryder
This user is offline Dinosaur. Rrraaahr.
Amethyst Ryder

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 27 Jun 10 01:04
I kind of felt that way myself, when I first joined this site, that it was a "closed circle" that didn't really warm up to newcomers. It didn't help that I (along with other Susan Boyle fandom spoofers, which is how I got started here) was being accused of being someone named "Chuy." I still have no idea, exactly, WTF that was about, but eventually I gathered they'd had some trouble with a multi-personality troll and apparently thought we SB spoofers were all the same person under multiple identities.

I gave it a bit of time, had a bit of time away as Real Life got in the way of writing for a while, and when I came back I just sort of crept my way into the discussions, a post here and a post there, and eventually they figured out that whatever the hell else I am, I'm a real person, not a sock puppet.

That, and most everyone around here is cracked. Goes with the territory.

I'd suggest don't take it personally, unless someone attacks you personally. Often it takes folks time to warm up to new people, and some people are more "warm" than others. But even if everyone around here isn't the "group hug" type, so far I've seen nothing to indicate that you are anything but welcome. Stick around long enough, and you'll be an "old timer," too.

birbee
This user is offline Yorkshire Kid
birbee

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 27 Jun 10 08:50
Arm, jump in with both feet and dip your toe in the water (see what I did there??? oh never mind).

You're right, points are for pansies, and anyone who tells you different is a pansy.

Except for those who tell you different and are bigger than me.

The sun is out, happy days..........................

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts,
And I looked and behold: a pale horse.
And his name, that sat on him, was Death.
And Hell followed with him........
The San Francisco Onion
The San Francisco Onion

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 27 Jun 10 09:01 - Edited By: The San Francisco Onion, 27 Jun 10 09:06

Love Light & Peace

Gazza

You're right about Skoob. He practically lives here. Much like Norm on Cheers had his Vera, Skoob's home away from home is here in the forum away from Mrs. Skoob, who we never actually get to see, but know about only through anecdotal information.

I'm not going to say anything about the attitudes in the forum because they are pretty stable right now, but that could change, which you will likely get to know once you have been here for more than 12 days!

The pen is mightier than the sword, but nobody ever said anything about the keyboard ...

Done, but with errors on page.
armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 27 Jun 10 15:18
Thank you. Everyone, for your replies. I was not really talking about myself, it was an observation after watching a couple of writers that had said their stuff had not been published. I got the feeling, they had been given the space at the back of the shelf. Maybe I was wrong.

However, After reading your replies, I feel very much at home, and if there is any free sex going, can I have some please? Or at least watch.

Love Light & Peace

Gazza

Jalapenoman
This user is offline Spicy Hombre
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 27 Jun 10 16:37

and if there is any free sex going, can I have some please? Or at least watch.

Love Light & Peace

Gazza

Please contact writers Jenny Bigtits, Norma Snockers, or Chamone; this is their department. If they are unavailable, I'm sure that Jesus Budda might be willing to help out (but not in a gay way).

Being raised by an Italian mother on the Mexican border made me realize that entrees are not edible without jalapenos, onions, green chilis, or garlic. Hence, I am the J-man.
Jesus Budda
This user is offline Two sheets to the wind
Jesus Budda

Forum Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 27 Jun 10 17:15
Hello.

Gazza? Fuck off. Go on. Fuck off. Fuck off and die.

Now that I've got that out of the way, I would now like to welcome you to the forums and I hope that you will develop some sense of identity that makes you stand out a little bit from the rest.

Love and hugs,

Jesus Budda
XXX

A lot of people never show any initiative because no-one told them to
funwithwords
funwithwords

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 27 Jun 10 18:32

As a new member, I have noticed a certain air of snobbery on this forum, where new writers are concerned. It seems if one is not in the circle of love, then one is a rank outsider.

<snip>

'Tis intrinsic with most all public forums, and not limited to just this one. Fora are a places for nobodies to become somebody. The longer a person participates, the more influence that person tends to have over the group, or forum. Also a factor is the quantity of participation. You'll notice that no matter what forum you visit, the one's with the most posts tend to "run" the place.

Cliques begin to form (not unlike real life), thus, a forum hierarchy coalesces together. The most influential of the cliques tend to run the show.

Not that this phenomenon is a bad thing. But it is this implied hierarchy that is intrinsic to fora that underlies an underlying paranoia not only for newbies coming in, but for the existing hierarchy as well who must view all newbies with suspicion.

For the existing hierarchy must be ever vigilant to perceived threats and challenges to its authority. Lest it chance to lose its influence to others, who may in turn, choose to marginalize the current regime.

Thus, the regime wielding the most influence must not only view all newbies with suspicion, but is required to impress on the newbies at the earliest opportunity the hierarchical realities of the forum. This is interpreted as snobbery on the part of the newbie. However, failure to snob on the newbie implies a leadership void, a perception that the forum hierarchy can ill afford to allow lest they risk losing the influence they so desperately desire to maintain.

All of this translates into a recipe for paranoia -- on both sides. The newbie is intimidated by all the forum code speak. And yet, the existing hierarchy are also wide-eyed suspicious (paranoid) of the newbie, thus are forced into code-speak due to the potential enemy combatant having invited herself/himself into the inner sanctum of the hierarchy (forum).

The easiest way for a newbie to "fit in" is to acknowledge and accept the hierarchy as is. Also, the newbie must accept the "snobbery" you speak of as the price for participation in their sacred play ground.

You are a nobody, and you need to reassure forum leaders that you understand this. Once the hierarchy perceives the initial threat to the forum throne has passed, then and only then will they begin to warm up to you.

I hate this game and the intrinsic paranoia it breeds. In fact, it is not uncommon to discover that it is this underlying paranoia that lies at the core of most problems on a forum.

Somebody within the hierarchy misinterprets something the newbie posts, and next thing you know, the entire boatload of seamen pounce your ass! Moreover, at the slightest hint of disrespect to the anointed ones (real or percieved -- and paranoia plays an important role here as well), again, the seamen pounce.

One interesting thing I have learned in my years of online forum usage is that, I now understand a bit more about mob mentality than I did prior. I understand better the underlying mechanics of how otherwise ordinary, upright -- even high class -- citizenry could band together and burn, torture, and hang an "enemy" of the culture (real or imagined).

All it really takes is an accusation, or a misunderstanding, or a misrepresentation, on the part of the "ordinary person" in regards to the potential "invader," and it's on. Lynch first, ask questions later. Throw in the hair-trigger of paranoia, and one can see how many innocents were burned, tortured and hanged for many years in the South (USA). And it's sad really.

Check this out for a collection of disturbing visuals (postcards of a bygone era): http://www.withoutsanctuary.org/

But, admittedly, I digress.... Went on a tangent again, which I'm prone to do on occasion.

Welcome to TheSpoof!, aft.

fww

armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 27 Jun 10 19:02
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement from above.
I am now satified that you are all racist and totally against ginger people. Although I am bald, I do sympathise.

Please send your donations to my charity. P.O.Box 91210

funwithwords
funwithwords

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 27 Jun 10 19:09
You're welcome.

Although I might add not racist, just humans desiring to be somebody more than the next nobody....

(if it went over your head, I apologize. Sometimes I forget who my audience is here, aft).

Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 27 Jun 10 19:13
Words fail...

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 27 Jun 10 19:13
Hello Gazza (is it?) - and a welcome from me cos I ain't been around for a bit. Don't worry nobody really bites round here and what Mr. funwithwords(welcome to him too) has said in his bit of funwithwords above is quite true and the subject of PhD theses these days. Although somewhat less true of the spoof than many other fora.

Hang on in there it all sorts itself out in the end - Skoob's a mate of mine and he's right (and it wasn't me who broke his thumb) and believe me too Mrs Skoob is VERY real (he showed me the scars) and I am very afraid cos he said she wants to 'meet'(or was it meat?) me!!!!

One piece of advice - names - couldn't you have chosen something that didn't remind me of something called a Teratoma that I once saw in jar in a medical museum - it was exactly that, armfeetandtoe, well give or take a few strands of hair and one tooth!

Power to your writing arm!!

Watching paint dry
victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 27 Jun 10 20:03
I like this new writer,

Not sure about the rest of you lot.

"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"
Morse
This user is offline -- --- .-. ... .
Morse

Forum Profile
Posted: 27 Jun 10 20:32

Quote: victor nicholas

I like this new writer,

Not sure about the rest of you lot.

...you always did enjoy handling the newbies....

Cap.

Whether you're rich or you're poor, it always pays to have money!
The San Francisco Onion
The San Francisco Onion

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 28 Jun 10 19:32

Quote: funwithwords

But, admittedly, I digress.... Went on a tangent again, which I'm prone to do on occasion.

Interesting stuff, though.

I believe that in large part it's what forums lack that causes these problems. Humans rely heavily on eye movements and eye contact, facial expressions, gestures and body language, and a myriad of visual forms of communiction, which often plays a significant role in establishing hierarchies.

In the forum, some of the same rules of etiquette and such apply as they would in a regular conversation, but many factors important to human communication are not accounted for. The simple fact is, communication by forum is not natural.

Hey, maybe we could all install webcams and have a televised forum discussion! That might do the trick.

Done, but with errors on page.
Nae mair crap

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 28 Jun 10 20:14

Quote: funwithwords

As a new member, I have noticed a certain air of snobbery on this forum, where new writers are concerned. It seems if one is not in the circle of love, then one is a rank outsider.

<snip>

'Tis intrinsic with most all public forums, and not limited to just this one. Fora are a places for nobodies to become somebody. The longer a person participates, the more influence that person tends to have over the group, or forum. Also a factor is the quantity of participation. You'll notice that no matter what forum you visit, the one's with the most posts tend to "run" the place.

Cliques begin to form (not unlike real life), thus, a forum hierarchy coalesces together. The most influential of the cliques tend to run the show.

Not that this phenomenon is a bad thing. But it is this implied hierarchy that is intrinsic to fora that underlies an underlying paranoia not only for newbies coming in, but for the existing hierarchy as well who must view all newbies with suspicion.

For the existing hierarchy must be ever vigilant to perceived threats and challenges to its authority. Lest it chance to lose its influence to others, who may in turn, choose to marginalize the current regime.

Thus, the regime wielding the most influence must not only view all newbies with suspicion, but is required to impress on the newbies at the earliest opportunity the hierarchical realities of the forum. This is interpreted as snobbery on the part of the newbie. However, failure to snob on the newbie implies a leadership void, a perception that the forum hierarchy can ill afford to allow lest they risk losing the influence they so desperately desire to maintain.

All of this translates into a recipe for paranoia -- on both sides. The newbie is intimidated by all the forum code speak. And yet, the existing hierarchy are also wide-eyed suspicious (paranoid) of the newbie, thus are forced into code-speak due to the potential enemy combatant having invited herself/himself into the inner sanctum of the hierarchy (forum).

The easiest way for a newbie to "fit in" is to acknowledge and accept the hierarchy as is. Also, the newbie must accept the "snobbery" you speak of as the price for participation in their sacred play ground.

You are a nobody, and you need to reassure forum leaders that you understand this. Once the hierarchy perceives the initial threat to the forum throne has passed, then and only then will they begin to warm up to you.

I hate this game and the intrinsic paranoia it breeds. In fact, it is not uncommon to discover that it is this underlying paranoia that lies at the core of most problems on a forum.

Somebody within the hierarchy misinterprets something the newbie posts, and next thing you know, the entire boatload of seamen pounce your ass! Moreover, at the slightest hint of disrespect to the anointed ones (real or percieved -- and paranoia plays an important role here as well), again, the seamen pounce.

One interesting thing I have learned in my years of online forum usage is that, I now understand a bit more about mob mentality than I did prior. I understand better the underlying mechanics of how otherwise ordinary, upright -- even high class -- citizenry could band together and burn, torture, and hang an "enemy" of the culture (real or imagined).

All it really takes is an accusation, or a misunderstanding, or a misrepresentation, on the part of the "ordinary person" in regards to the potential "invader," and it's on. Lynch first, ask questions later. Throw in the hair-trigger of paranoia, and one can see how many innocents were burned, tortured and hanged for many years in the South (USA). And it's sad really.

Check this out for a collection of disturbing visuals (postcards of a bygone era): http://www.withoutsanctuary.org/

Welcome to TheSpoof!, aft.

fww

You summed up the situation of the banned and the damned from a certain Susan Boyle fan site. I know that Lady G, Harold, Amethyst and Aubergine will agree with me 100% on this.

As for the newbie - join in, take a few chances and you'll feel right at home. Good luck.

It helps to be a little odd - to get even
Amethyst Ryder
Amethyst Ryder

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 28 Jun 10 21:42

Quote: Nae mair crap
You summed up the situation of the banned and the damned from a certain Susan Boyle fan site. I know that Lady G, Harold, Amethyst and Aubergine will agree with me 100% on this.

Damned right. I've been on many forums over the years, including Usenet groups, and NOTHING has come even close to the batshit insanity of That Place. Fandom, any fandom, is by definition batshit insane, but they take it to new depths.

On the positive side, it provides an endless supply of spoofing inspiration. You just have to overlook the human rights violations and generally abusive conduct in order to be able to laugh.

Amethyst Ryder
Amethyst Ryder

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 28 Jun 10 21:43

Quote: The San Francisco Onion
The simple fact is, communication by forum is not natural.

Kind of like vuvuzelas.

Webcams would be fun, but only if we ban vuvuzelas.

armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 28 Jun 10 23:24
I take back everything I have said about any person on this thread and on this forum...............Your not racist....No....Your all bludy MAD!!!! and Im telling the authorities about what goes on here! Whats a Vavasla?? or whatever it is....Your all perverts!!...And that SKOOB bloke has been asking me if I wear leather and have a mustache cos he has a job for me!...How does he know I'm an unemployed Gas Lamp Lighter???? This is all very subversive and the sexual undertones are evident with every sentence.

my number is. 91210 anytime

Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 28 Jun 10 23:32
Well.

Do you?

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Monkey Woods
This user is offline Dirty Ape
Monkey Woods

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 29 Jun 10 00:12

Quote: Jesus Budda

Hello.

Gazza? Fuck off. Go on. Fuck off. Fuck off and die.

Now that I've got that out of the way, I would now like to welcome you to the forums and I hope that you will develop some sense of identity that makes you stand out a little bit from the rest.

Love and hugs,

Jesus Budda
XXX

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Mind you, I would. I wrote it.

Love and hugs,

Jesus Budda
XXX

To have ambitions, was my ambition
Aubergine Underwood
Aubergine Underwood

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 29 Jun 10 13:31 - Edited By: Aubergine Underwood, 29 Jun 10 17:56
NMC -- I wholeheartedly agree with your thoughtful post on the psychology of forums.

Joining the Susan Boyle fansite was my first experience at belonging to a forum. In the begining the interplay between individuals was kind of fun, but when the site switched formats the worst qualities of a number of members began to emerge. I sat back in fascinated horror and watched it turn into a totalitarian state.

Although I write spoofs in a very narrow genre, it has at least been cathartic poking fun as some of the more outrageous aspects of Susan Boyle fandom. A pity they cannot gain some insight from they way we see them.

PS I think there may be something seriously wrong with me -- I am getting used to the vuvuzelas!

Wild Haggis Couldn't Drag Me Away!

2 Pages - [1] 2 »
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum