This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / World Cup - England v USA

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Skoob1999
This user is offline Caretaker
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 13 Jun 10 00:42
Good game I thought.

Lax goalkeeping error, and England were the better team, but the Americans hung on.

Gerrard was Man Of The Match for me. All the others played well. Both countries should qualify comfortably.

Those bloody horns were still annoying.

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 13 Jun 10 01:11
They sound like mosquitoes.

"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"
Charpa93
This user is offline Writer
Charpa93

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 13 Jun 10 02:33
I agree. Was pleasantly surprised with USA. And the horns?
I actually wrote a story immediately after the match.

Morse
This user is offline -- --- .-. ... .
Morse

Forum Profile
Posted: 13 Jun 10 09:20

Quote: Charpa93

....hope Mark wakes up soon and goes to work...probably lots of stories laying around now smelling like day old toasted cheese sandwiches...

May have to change the ending on mine....

morse

Whether you're rich or you're poor, it always pays to have money!
Amethyst Ryder
This user is offline Dinosaur. Rrraaahr.
Amethyst Ryder

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 13 Jun 10 10:24

Quote: Morse

....hope Mark wakes up soon and goes to work...probably lots of stories laying around now smelling like day old toasted cheese sandwiches...

May have to change the ending on mine....

morse

Yeah, man, I posted my latest nun pic one about 12 hours ago, give or take a minute, and it's only got 16 reads so far. Granted I'm not at the top of the heap like some of the Greats, here, but even for me that's a slow business day.

Charpa93
Charpa93

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 13 Jun 10 15:14
South Africans Walking Around with Vuvuzelas Up Their Arses

Actually, here is the story I wrote yesterday. It is now running and doing well.

Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 13 Jun 10 15:22
England started well with the goal, but couldn't get control of the game, and the USA had more possession after that. USA deserved to equalise - we struggled to defend at times - though it was a soft goal to give away.

Second half was a much better game, with both teams playing well. England were on top most in second half, and it seemed that USA were tiring, but England couldn't make the breakthrough.

Draw a fair result in the end. England probably just shaded it, but if you (a) give soft goals away and (b) don;t capitalise when you are on top, you won't win.

I don't just blame the keeper. He made a good save in 2nd half to keep us level, and no-one blames the forwards for missing good chances.

England weren't great but it's early, I've seen a lot worse before, and USA were a decent side.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 13 Jun 10 15:28
Just read that Charpa, and gave it a well earned 5 stars.

I'm with the Germans and the Dutch on this one.

I'm watching Serbia v Ghana as I write this, and there's a rag-tag band walking around the perimeter of the pitch blowing trumpets and banging drums.

They're not even watching the game!

They shouldn't let these idiots within ten miles of a football stadium.

The crowd noise has no relation to what's happening on the park.

Mystified.

Skoob.

RIP
Charpa93
Charpa93

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 13 Jun 10 15:50
I agree. It was so distracting during the England-USA game, I actually had to hit my mute button for a while to get the ringing out of my ears.

A toot here or there is expected but to constantly blow the horn makes me think maybe there is more to this than just fandom.

Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 13 Jun 10 15:58
Well, the Germans and the Dutch do like their horns and oompah bands as well.

Rum cove, Johnny Foreigner.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Aubergine Underwood
Aubergine Underwood

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 13 Jun 10 16:19
Have just been listening to the commentary after the Ghanna game and the American commentator (didn't catch his name) remarked that England is suffering from delusions of grandeur -- that they aren't as good as they think they are.

How does that statement grab anyone?

Wild Haggis Couldn't Drag Me Away!
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 13 Jun 10 16:28
Been going on for years. Lots of media hype which some people swallow. But if you just list the top teams, we aren't even in the top 4.

We've a very strong premier league but it's full of foreign players. It's a market forces arrangement which is not helping the international team, and is ruining our game as a sport.

But England are somewhere in the top 10 of the world. Which means we realistically are quarter-final material. It's always been the same.

There's always a chance we can do better than that. Or worse. But generally we are quarter final material. Technically, our players aren't skilled enough to do better than that.

Our premier league is very skilful now - but that's the foreigners again. Whatever happened to the need to improve our skills? We're trying top foreign coaches now. Remains to be seen whether that'll do the trick.

There was talk of a 'golden generation' of players a few years ago. Maybe at present we're between 'golden generations'.

Quarter finals isn't bad. And we can as I say do better sometimes. This time, it'll be an achievement to get to the last 8. Then anything can happen.

Quote: Aubergine Underwood

Have just been listening to the commentary after the Ghanna game and the American commentator (didn't catch his name) remarked that England is suffering from delusions of grandeur -- that they aren't as good as they think they are.

How does that statement grab anyone?

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Amethyst Ryder
This user is offline Dinosaur. Rrraaahr.
Amethyst Ryder

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 13 Jun 10 16:28

South Africans Walking Around with Vuvuzelas Up Their Arses

Actually, here is the story I wrote yesterday. It is now running and doing well.

I was ready to give you five stars for the title alone but you also had a good punch line, so there you go.

Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 13 Jun 10 19:18
Bloody Germans winning 2-0 as I write this.

Dull, boring, but as efficient as hell.

Please God not the bloody Germans again.

Re the England comment - nah. We don't have an over inflated view of our team. We're good, but not as good as Argentina, Spain, Brazil, or Italy. The Germans are always a tough call. Not much flair, but ruthlessly efficient.

Do we think we'll win? Probably not. But in the best English spirit, we'll give it a go.

To vindicate myself a little here, I did send Morse a private E-mail saying that the USA were a lot better side than people give them credit for.

That's the thing with football, you just never know.

I'm more for my club than the national team, but it's the World Cup.

For me dear old Nan's sake, France should be banned, Ireland should have been in there, and they should ban those bloody vuvuzela things.

Clear as mud that, right?

Never mind.

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Charpa93
Charpa93

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 13 Jun 10 20:10
Thanks AR and others for the stars. Was fun to write.

As far as the US goes, and Brasil, my personal favorite, I caught a game once in Brasil between the US and Brasil, can't remember the league but it was one below FIFA I think but international.

Anyway, my husband and I went to the game and I was the only American there cheering on my team;however, i was told ahead of time not to do anything to indicate i was American. Not that they would have mugged me or anything, but it would have been sacrilegious to boo against Brasil.

The Americans got their butts kicked royally. I believe the final score was 10 to zip.

So with yesterday's game, I'm satisfied at least America made a bit of a better showing. It could have turned out much, much worse.

Morse
This user is offline -- --- .-. ... .
Morse

Forum Profile
Posted: 13 Jun 10 20:19

Quote: Skoob1999

Bloody Germans winning 2-0 as I write this.

Dull, boring, but as efficient as hell.

Please God not the bloody Germans again.

Re the England comment - nah. We don't have an over inflated view of our team. We're good, but not as good as Argentina, Spain, Brazil, or Italy. The Germans are always a tough call. Not much flair, but ruthlessly efficient.

Do we think we'll win? Probably not. But in the best English spirit, we'll give it a go.

To vindicate myself a little here, I did send Morse a private E-mail saying that the USA were a lot better side than people give them credit for.

That's the thing with football, you just never know.

I'm more for my club than the national team, but it's the World Cup.

For me dear old Nan's sake, France should be banned, Ireland should have been in there, and they should ban those bloody vuvuzela things.

Clear as mud that, right?

Never mind.

Regards

Skoob.

I'm with you guys the rest of the way! Rule Britania!

Maybe we should form a kind of kinky coalition...we've got the goalie, you've got the guts & speed.....

Morse

Whether you're rich or you're poor, it always pays to have money!
Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 13 Jun 10 20:40
Cap

You got the goalie all right.

Anybody who thinks it's some kind of Sissy game should watch Tim Howard and his courage in going for that ball against Heskey.

That was a real rib buster.

What did Tim Howard do? He got up and got on with it. No helmet, no padding...good lad.

I wish some of our American cousins would understand that this is not a sissy game. Like basketball, it's about moving the ball around in order to score. And it's about passion.

Some of our friends seem to be starting to appreciate that fact. Plus, these guys don't come off every time they make a play for a breather.

Glad the Cap's starting to see the light.

The whole world can't be wrong.

Mind you, those bloody buzzers can be annoying.

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
JohnWolf21
JohnWolf21

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 14 Jun 10 19:07
Interesting result I don't think many people could have seen this as an even result. Damn, on betfair the odds were 4.2 for an draw and 1.57 for 1-0 England, that draw would have been some damn good profit, If I'd known the result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Z8S2tls&playnext_from=TL&videos=jBWGwW9jiPU
Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 15 Jun 10 01:11
And later today we have Brazil.

Always look forward to seeing them.

Come on!

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Jaggedone
This user is offline Warning: Sharp edges
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 15 Jun 10 18:15

Quote: Skoob1999

And later today we have Brazil.

Always look forward to seeing them.

Come on!

Regards

Skoob.

Skoob, I'm beginning to give up hope especially after that boring load of crap today.

When I watch some of the "top teams" I think some of their players don't even wanna be there, holiday in the Bahamas sounds much more appetising (apart from the fucking Krauts that is)

Monkey nutter...

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum