This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / How's everyone's 420?

[This topic is LOCKED]

2 Pages - [1] 2 »
AuthorMessage
Madame Bitters
This user is offline Sweeter than sugar
Madame Bitters

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 20 Apr 09 20:37
Well, it's 4:20 on 4/20 (or 20/4 for those on the other side of The Pond)

Hope everyone's havin' a grand ol' time. I know I am!!

Wish I was in Amsterdam.

Keep the candy, leave the booze
Jalapenoman
This user is offline Spicy Hombre
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 20 Apr 09 22:03
Head south to New Braunfuls. You'll get your European buzz out of your system (and enjoy some good German food).

Being raised by an Italian mother on the Mexican border made me realize that entrees are not edible without jalapenos, onions, green chilis, or garlic. Hence, I am the J-man.
Skoob1999
This user is offline Caretaker
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 20 Apr 09 22:16

Quote: Jalapenoman

Head south to New Braunfuls. You'll get your European buzz out of your system (and enjoy some good German food).

Good German food J-Man?

Are you taking the piss?

Best regards

Skoob

RIP
Jalapenoman
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 20 Apr 09 23:01

Quote: Skoob1999

Good German food J-Man?

Are you taking the piss?

Best regards

Skoob

An Englishman is making fun of another country's food? I'll take streudel over anything you can offer.

Being raised by an Italian mother on the Mexican border made me realize that entrees are not edible without jalapenos, onions, green chilis, or garlic. Hence, I am the J-man.
Monkey Woods
This user is offline Dirty Ape
Monkey Woods

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 20 Apr 09 23:12
What? You don't like beans on toast?

To have ambitions, was my ambition
Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 20 Apr 09 23:17
J-Man

You've obviously never tasted black pudding from a market stall with English mustard and malt vinegar.

English mustard knocks American mustard into a cocked hat. It's alive with flavour, not like that insipid crap you guys eat on hot dogs.

Sorry J-Man, but from a dude who purports to be a jalapeno lover I expected more taste.

Germans, nice beer, nice people, crap food, crap football teams.

Don't mention the war. Or the Boston tea party for that matter.

We haven't forgotten you know.

Tongue planted firmly in cheek,

Skoob

RIP
Jalapenoman
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 20 Apr 09 23:18 - Edited By: Jalapenoman, 20 Apr 09 23:18
In response to Monkey's beans on bread comment:

....or greasy fried fish served in newspaper....or entrails....or horsemeat....or bread pudding....or mincemeat....

Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 20 Apr 09 23:21

Quote: Monkey Woods

What? You don't like beans on toast?

I love beans on toast. With a fried egg on top. Mind you it has to be organic because I'm a tree hugger.

Sniggering, but not in a nasty way

Skoob

RIP
Jalapenoman
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 20 Apr 09 23:22
Skoob,

The purpose of mustard is to hide the taste of really bad foods. I don't ruin perfectly good meat with mustard, ketchup, or mayonaise. I want to taste my food, not the taste hiding condiment.

Besides, everyone knows that the best way to eat an all beef hot dog (no mystery meat for me or any of those turkey or chicken dogs) is with onions, cheese, and kraut.

Also, the only time to eat a hot dog is when you can't get a bratwurst.

Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 20 Apr 09 23:32
J-Man

Fair play on the Bratwurst bit, but come on, when it comes to food, the Germans aren't exactly the most sophisticated in the world. Try looking at Britain, France, Spain, Italy, we'd blow the USA out of the water.

That's why you had to import Gordon Ramsay to do Hell's Kitchen USA. You're a nation of short order cooks. As Napoleon Boneparte once said.

Again, tongue firmly in cheek and no offence intended.

The best use of chilli in any dish comes from the south of India. Frankfurters are 98% crap. End of.

Regards

Skoob

RIP
BuckwheatsButt
This user is offline Deleted

Forum Profile
 Email
Posted: 20 Apr 09 23:42 - Edited By: BuckwheatsButt, 20 Apr 09 23:48
I have a feeling Skoob has never eaten in places like New Orleans, Chicago, San Antonio, Phoenix, LA, New York City, Southern California, Miami, or any place in the South, like Memphis, Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston, and coastal seafood eateries..and of course, a million joints in between that have a unique American twist on ethnic foods and diverse culture cuisine.

I'll bet the only place he ate at in NYC was when his buddies took him down to eat at the 'Y'!

Madame Bitters
Madame Bitters

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 20 Apr 09 23:51
The only way to eat pig entrails is if they're fried up and thourghly doused in Tabasco. They're called chitlins. My grandma used to make them and they were known to induce signs of the rapture.

Pig entrails DO NOT belong in a pie/pudding of any sort.

I like goat fajitas-- with corn tortillas. Add some frijoles and Spanish rice seasoned liberally with cilantro and I'm in heaven. It may be mojado heaven, but it's heaven nonetheless.

I've never had black pudding, but the name makes it sound awful. I heard that one of the main ingredients is blood. Is that true?

Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 20 Apr 09 23:56
Hiya Buck,

I have actually been to NYC, and the best food I had was in a deli on 125th St by the el tracks close to Lexington Ave, it cost $6 for two, and was by far and away the best food I had in NYC. The deli is still there, it's right by the station stairs. You can see it on Google Earth. It was great, apart from the head cases pushing shopping carts around and shouting at the sky.

Mrs Skoob wanted to see the Apollo Theatre there. What a let down. Nice food in Spanish Harlem though, and lovely people.

She wanted to buy me a Huggy Bear pimp suit right out of the 1970's. I thought it wise not to take the piss, and being the only white face within 400 square miles, leg it back down to Union Square mucho rapido.

So long Harlem.

Regards

Skoob

RIP
BuckwheatsButt
This user is offline Deleted

Forum Profile
 Email
Posted: 20 Apr 09 23:57 - Edited By: BuckwheatsButt, 21 Apr 09 00:01
Yup, I bet Skoob would have a second helping of haggis too! I think it's the only food served with a barf bag!

Fair fa' yer honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the pudden race!

Haggis is made from sheep's offal (or pluck). The windpipe, lungs, heart and liver of the sheep are boiled and then minced. This is mixed with beef suet and lightly toasted oatmeal. This mixture is placed inside the sheep's stomach, which is sewn closed. The resulting haggis is traditionally cooked by further boiling (for up to three hours) although the part-cooked haggis can be cooked in the oven which prevents the risk of bursting and spoiling.
Perhaps the best known maker of haggis is the Edinburgh company of Charles MacSween & Son (now relocated to out of the city). Their haggis is widely available in the U.K. and they will happily ship it overseas, although note that the strict agriculture regulations preclude importing haggis into the U.S.

NOTE: A haggis-on-the-Run fast food restaurant in NYC served only 4 portions before going out of business. Actually, the owner got shot!

Jalapenoman
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 20 Apr 09 23:58
Skoob,

I'll put the cuisine of my area up against the cuisine of yours any day.

I like to go to Si Senor and order the combination platter. I get a taco, an enchilada, a tamale, a chili relleno (best food in the world), some pork chili, rice, beans (refrieds or boracho), and a sopapilla. It's all southwest food and it just don't get any better than this.

Or, I can go the the local bbq joint and eat some brisket with hot bbq sauce, some beans and either slaw or potato salad and some hot rolls (dill pickle and onions on the side, of course). If I'm in the mood, I can switch out the beef for some pulled pork or smoked turkey or hotlinks. I'll take pumpkin, sweet potato, or pecan pie or some banana pudding for dessert. It's Southern U.S. Food and it is heaven.

We'll take that over your bangers and mash or bubble and squeak any day.

Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 21 Apr 09 00:14
J-Man

Seriously, you are joking. What the hell makes you think that we Brits survive on bangers and mash and beans on toast?

Even where I live, which is not quite the big city I left, there's culinary diversity of New York proportions, and one of the finest culinary colleges in the world. I could take you to a street near me which offers food of all persuasions within one city block.

Apart from German.

Mind you, we do have a history.

How many German restaurants in New Mexico?

Come on J-Man, fess up. Jalapenos and enchiladas hardly constitute traditional German cooking.

Kindest Regards, and seriously thanks for the Texas history lesson last night. You learn something every day.

Skoob

RIP
Jalapenoman
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 21 Apr 09 00:31
Skoob, I don't know about the number of German restaurants in the entire state. I do know that the best one in this area is Gunther's Edelweiss (and I know that I did not spell that right) in El Paso (about an hour from my house to the restaurant).

You may not be aware of it, living in England, but English cuisine does not have a great reputation in other parts of the world. When people in this country ask what someone wants to eat, the possibilities are generally "Italian, Oriental, Meskin, Indian, Seafood, BBQ, Burgers, chicken....etc." No one ever adds in English.

NickFun
This user is offline Bootylicious
NickFun

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 21 Apr 09 04:20
I had some 420 this past weekend. As we were walking across the pier. I looked up and saw the sun about to set thought I swore it was only 4 o'clock. She looked at me...

I have no idea what I'm talking about. Please carry on with your lives and forget I said anything.

Signature lines are for psychos.
Madame Bitters
Madame Bitters

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 21 Apr 09 05:31
Geez, Nick what took ya so long?

I was wondering if you were gonna show.

In a life filled with a long string of dissapointments, I'd just like to thank you for not dissapointing me as well.

Jaggedone
This user is offline Warning: Sharp edges
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 21 Apr 09 15:07
Living here on the Dutch/German border we enjoy the frivolities from both sides, German Pizza restaurants are the best on the planet, run by Italiens of course, Dutch Chinese restaurants are second to none run by guess who, Chinese of course.
Hence the national specialities mentioned, they don't hardly count these days, most of us enjoy multi - culti food and the national dishes tend to rot in the pantry.
Apart from fried Espanol cohones from a raging bull with a high pitched voice, not to be missed!

Monkey nutter...
Monkey Woods
Monkey Woods

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 21 Apr 09 15:15 - Edited By: Monkey Woods, 21 Apr 09 15:22

Quote: Jalapenoman

Skoob,

The purpose of mustard is to hide the taste of really bad foods.

Nah, round here we just put a dog turd on food to do that.

I've heard it said that English food is bland. Can't argue with that, but if you like wholesome food which is bland compared to the rest of the world, then English food is what you need!

We like what we like, don't we? My mum wouldn't be seen dead eating a curry, or rice, or ... well ... you know. She likes her Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pud, her Steak and Kidney Pie with Dumplings, her Fish, Chips and Peas, her Shepherds Pie, her Cottage Pie, her Bangers and Mash, Egg and Chips, Pork Chop with Gravy...

Not that bland is it?

You know, Jman, we don't actually eat that newspaper around the fish and chips.

Not unless we're really famished.

Jalapenoman
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 21 Apr 09 16:49
Really, I thought that the newspaper was the best part. Of course, the sports page would tend to taste a little gamey and the comics page would taste kind of funny.

Monkey Woods
Monkey Woods

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 21 Apr 09 16:58
Just greasy, really. The chips often get stuck to the paper, and it would be a waste to leave them just because a bit of paper is stuck to them.

queen mudder
This user is offline Spoof Queen
queen mudder

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 21 Apr 09 17:21 - Edited By: queen mudder, 21 Apr 09 17:22
Nothing like a 4/20 lungful of North African Double Zero to get the tastebuds going for traditional English food.....like, er, jellied ells, whelks on a pin, black pudding fritters etc. And don't forget a fried Mars Bar for pudding, all slooshed down with a pint of Newcastle Brown Ale or a half of Speckled Hen.

Theakston's Old Peculiar or a Young's Brewery Ramrod Winter Warmer also does the business.

Did you know that the hop if the botanical first cousin of cannabis? (yawn.......)

Gravity is a myth, the earth sux?
Morse
This user is offline -- --- .-. ... .
Morse

Forum Profile
Posted: 22 Apr 09 22:22
Ok...Food....let's talk about food!

Being of German and Norwegian heritage I enjoyed good home cooking on the German side...I classify it as great comfort food for the cold climates...not the best for the warm and humid August of SC and the rest of the low country.

As we speak, I am ready to prepare spareribs and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes for tomorrow...got to get my fix before summer sets in...

I lived in a town called Punta Gorda, Fl. for 10 years and we had at least 3 german restaurants and delis...in Myrtle Beach there is one German Restaurant that features an accordian player....I have not been there yet.....but if I do may write a spoof for Skoob!

As a kid by grandfather who owned a commerical milk company took me to all the German deli's and bakeries that he sold commerical milk products to...I saw them stuffing the sausauges etc. and they even made their own ice cream with the ice cream mix he provided...needless to say I have a soft spot for the smell of those delis and the great food they put out...the same as if I went into an Italian Deli etc. In addition, my grandfather;s brother had a German Restaurant...

At home since I am retired, I do all the cooking, even though Ms. Morse is a great cook. I do German, Italian, my own version of stir fry, and just plain good home cooking. I learned to make great "gravy" ( not spagetti sauce as they called it on the Sorpranos), and we stock up on meats at Costco, cutting our own steaks etc. My favorite kitchen toy is the Ronco rotesserie where I do standing rib roast that you couldn't get as good in a 5* restaurant....

During the winter I mail order German specialities from a "pork store" in NJ, and fill the kitchen with German cooking odours......and plenty of Becks Bier....

And, ya, I still have the complete set of seasoned black cast iron frying pans handed down from my Grandmother.....

I love ethnic food as long as it is authentic...In VN we waited for the fresh bread sold on the street at 4pm..still warm from the oven, and including the little crunchy bugs interned inside....kind of like the fare on the Buggerall!

Ms. Morse said she enjoyed the fare in England during her recent trip and especially loved afternoon Tea....and all the cakes!

Good Food is Great Food....but if you go out the surroundings have to encompass the flavour of the meal...it has to be a total experience and price is not the measure....Good Company also adds to the total experience....

Buck is right...all kinds of great food available over here, as there is in England as Skoob pointed out...

AS JB would say Blah,Blah, Blah...sorry, but it's getting close to dinner time over here and I'm getting hungry!

Enjoy,

Morse

Whether you're rich or you're poor, it always pays to have money!

2 Pages - [1] 2 »
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum